The Roxy Bremerton is a nonprofit foundation whose mission is to steward, protect, provide, and maintain the Historic Roxy Theatre in Bremerton, WA and to raise funds and awareness within the community to accomplish that objective.
In addition, the foundation provides access and support for community entities that could utilize the Roxy for various projects and endeavors, including the arts, public policy, community engagement, nonprofit projects and whatever appropriate community activities might benefit from access to the venue.
The Historic Roxy Theatre was first opened on May 29, 1941 and was originally owned by Benjamin F. Shearer. It was designed by Bjarne H. Moe, one of the Pacific coast’s foremost theatre architects.
The theatre still displays its original Pioneer Northwest Photographer Asahel Curtis photo mural of Bremerton, The Navy Yard with the White Fleet of 1908. At the time it was one of the largest photo murals ever installed in the Pacific Northwest.
Sound West Group renovated the theatre and it operates in a partnership between Far Away Entertainment and Roxy Bremerton Foundation as a movie theatre, live event and music venue, and special event space. The marquee was recreated by Fernando Duarte and fabricated by Hanson Signs.
The Foundation has replaced half of the seats and upgraded the HVAC to include air conditioning for the first time. The foundation is raising funds to purchase the building and is currently transitioning to be the operator.